Choroidal Neovascularization Screening on OCT-Angiography Choriocapillaris Images by Convolutional Neural Networks - Université Paris-Est-Créteil-Val-de-Marne Access content directly
Journal Articles Applied Sciences Year : 2021

Choroidal Neovascularization Screening on OCT-Angiography Choriocapillaris Images by Convolutional Neural Networks

Abstract

Choroidal Neovascularization (CNV) is the advanced stage of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD), which is the leading cause of irreversible visual loss for elder people in developed countries. Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography (OCTA) is a recent non-invasive imaging technique widely used nowadays in diagnosis and follow-up of CNV. In this study, an automatic screening of CNV based on deep learning is performed using OCTA choriocapillaris images. CNV eyes (advanced wet AMD) are diagnosed among healthy eyes (no AMD) and eyes with drusen (intermediate AMD). An OCTA dataset of 1396 images is used to train and evaluate the model. A pre-trained convolutional neural network (CNN) is fine-tuned and validated on 80% of the dataset while the remaining 20% is used independently for predictions. The model can accurately detect CNV on the test set with an accuracy of 89.74%, precision of 0.96 and 0.99 area under the curve of the receiver operating characteristic. A good overall classification accuracy of 88.46% is obtained on a balanced test set. Detailed analysis of misclassified images shows that they are also considered ambiguous images for expert clinicians. This novel CNN-based application is truly a breakthrough to assist clinicians in the challenging task of screening for neovascular complications.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
applsci-11-09313.pdf (3.03 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Publisher files allowed on an open archive

Dates and versions

hal-04054450 , version 1 (28-02-2024)

Identifiers

Cite

Kawther Taibouni, Alexandra Miere, Abdourahmane Samake, Eric Souied, Eric Petit, et al.. Choroidal Neovascularization Screening on OCT-Angiography Choriocapillaris Images by Convolutional Neural Networks. Applied Sciences, 2021, 11 (19), pp.9313. ⟨10.3390/app11199313⟩. ⟨hal-04054450⟩

Collections

LISSI UPEC
59 View
41 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook X LinkedIn More